- ✅Email marketing best practices.
- 🚨 What not to do in your campaign.
- 🔝 The most important rate calculations and how to track them.
Email Marketing Kpis #1: Number of emails delivered
Just because you are sure that all email addresses are accurately noted on your mailing list does not mean that your email was delivered. In fact, a 100% deliverability rate is virtually impossible. 😱
Note: There is a difference between a “sent” email and an email that actually arrives in the inbox. It is most likely sent, but will go directly to the recipient’s spam folder. That’s why more and more marketers are starting to use Inbox Positioning Rate (IPR) as a key performance indicator, so they can measure how many emails actually reach the inbox. So, to recap:
- Email addresses can be wrong.
- The emails can be in spam.
- Set up your mailbox = tutorial video.
- Avoid spam words = spam word list.
- Test the deliverability of your emails = free tool
Email Marketing Kpis #2: Email open rate
Reaching the inbox is not enough. You also need to consider the number of emails opened. 💌
- Learn about your industry! Be sure to do industry-specific comparisons, as some industries, like finance and hospitality, typically have higher open rates (which makes sense since people will often open emails from their banks and hotels they frequent).
- Do A/B marketing tests: Test only one variable at a time (change the title, change the subject line…) = Do A/B tests.
- Adapt to your targets and their language, a young target needs to laugh, to be surprised = Find his persona.
- Once again, do not use spam words.
Email Marketing Kpis #3: Click-through rate
The click-through rate (CTR) shows how many people clicked on a link in your email. Unlike open and deliverability, however, you have to dig a little deeper to find out how many people were interested in the offer in the email. For each campaign, you need to know not only which links they are most interested in, but also where to place those links in order to get the most clicks.
Once again, you’ll have to do A/B tests 😉 For example: Assuming you provide the same link but written in two different ways and one works better than the other, then you can optimize your CTA text accordingly. Also compare the buttons with the text links. You can compare:
- Click here.👈
- Discover the offer.
- Learn more.
- Boost my sales.
- Sign up for free.
- Watch the demo video.
- Let me be surprised.
- Open my gift. 🎁
And other CTAs based on your product or service offering.
Email Marketing Kpis #4: Click-through rate for opening
This calculation is more accurate and important than the previous one. 🧐
sent, as this will distort your results.
✅ Best practices for click-through rate per opening:
- Check if the click-through rate is dropping or increasing,
- Try to identify why (Title, description, copywriting, visuals…).
- Reiterate what works and forget what doesn’t work for your target audience.
! Now that you know how to use it well, you need to calculate it. 😍
Email Marketing Kpis #5 : Unsubscribe rate (churn)
will more easily report you as spam, because it’s easier for them!
! For example: from one campaign to another, or from one month to another.
Email Marketing Kpis #6: Bounce rate
Already, you need to identify the two types of bounce rates. 🧐
A strong “hard bounce” is a permanent output while a light “soft bounce” is temporary.
Hard bounces are usually caused by invalid email addresses. That is, they are directly related to the deliverability rate. Many hard bounces = low deliverability rate. As a reminder, it can be a false email address, a typo, an address that has been deleted …
🚨 Pay attention to high bounces because they show that you are behind in cleaning your prospect database.
It can also indicate that you need to use double opt-in or another method to verify that the email address is entered correctly, you can read more about this here. On the other hand, temporary “soft bounces” are temporary and caused by a problem in the inbox. For example, the inbox may be full or the server may be down. Depending on the email service provider or email marketing platform you use, the system will automatically try to resend messages only a certain number of times.
✅ Best practices for bounce rate:
- Make sure you have good databases at startup.
- Delete all invalid email addresses without delay.
- Keep the email addresses where you entered a soft bounce, if after 3 new sends
it doesn’t work, you can delete the emails from your data box.
- Use the double opt-in to check the email addresses before sending!
Email Marketing Kpis #7: Social shares
This KPI shows the social engagement related to your email. Depending on what you’re looking for, it can be a good indicator, or it may not interest you at all. I present it to you anyway! 🧐
It can be a good indicator of the quality of your content. But the opposite is not true. That is, just because no one shares your email, doesn’t mean your copywriting is bad. It is quite rare, sharing on social networks when talking about email marketing campaigns.
On the other hand, you can be quoted or picked up on LinkedIn for example. 😍
So make it easy for your readers to share your content by adding social buttons to your emails, it might not be bad.
🚨 But be careful not to have too many buttons on your email and lose your target, they should click on the CTA first!
#8 : Email forwarding
. On the other hand, if some of your mails are forwarded a lot it’s a good sign, it proves their values for your targets. 🎯
- Identify the emails that were forwarded a lot,
- Find the reason (the added value, the trigger).
- Repeat the strategy.
The rate will never be very high, don’t worry, we rather look at the rate evolutions in these cases.
Email Marketing Kpis #9: Conversion rate
So here we come to my favorite marketing KPIs! 😍
- Make sure you have different tracking links for all your marketing campaigns,
- Follow these tracking links to identify which campaigns are working best.
- Adjust your digital prospecting based on the results, asking yourself the right questions: what types of emails work best? How can you improve the buying process? Why don’t the x% of customers go on to purchase after clicking on the CTA?
- Filling out a form,
- Booking an appointment,
- download an e-book…
Email Marketing Kpis #10: Revenue per subscriber
Revenue per subscriber is one of those email marketing.
KPIs that tell you how each email in your email campaign is performing.
For example, You send 1000 emails and 2 people convert (buy), and one email in your campaign generated 100 euros of purchase and another 1500 euros.
✅ Best practices for tracking revenue per subscriber:
- Identify the types of people who pay and those who don’t: to refine the target. 🎯
- Create a new one: add people who paid in all your campaigns to create specialized campaigns for your customers. 😍
Once you determine what types of emails work best, you can optimize your email marketing campaigns to increase your long-term profits.
You can also target more people when you know the characteristics of your subscribers. 😁
Email Marketing Kpis #11: Email ROI
My second favorite! ROI = Return on Investment.
✅ Best practices for calculating the ROI of your email campaigns:
Email Marketing Kpis #12: Growth Rate
The Growth Rate will depend on what growth you want to measure.
- The growth of sales related to email marketing,
- The evolution of sales KPIs,
- The number of new leads…
Email Marketing Kpis #13: Spam complaint rate
This rate comes last because you need to get into email marketing first before you can really get going.
Faq of the article on the Metrics of your marketing mails
Which tool should I use to launch my email marketing campaigns?
The tool we suggest you use to launch hundreds of successful campaigns is Waalaxy. You can :
- Find email addresses and create a database with the email finder.
- Launch your email campaigns with great templates.
- Easily develop your strategy with multi-channel actions (see the video 👇).
- Track metrics and KPIs of your marketing emails easily with the integrated CRM ! Want to know how it works?
Well then, what are you waiting for, it’s free 😉
What are the 5 key performance indicators in marketing?
The 5 key indicators of your digital strategy are:
- Deliverability rate.
- Click-through rate.
- The opening rate.
- The conversion rate.
- Return on investment.
These are the 5 most important metrics to follow closely. Of course, don’t forget to check the growth rate and to closely follow your A/B tests. 👀
Conclusion: what are the 13 KPIs and metrics of email marketing?