In this article, we will tackle an uncomfortable subject: How to Block Someone on LinkedIn? 🙊
I know this it’s not very pleasant, but sometimes it’s necessary… it’s good to know that you can do it easily by visiting the person’s profile.
These are the 3 steps on how to block someone on LinkedIn:
- Go to the person’s profile and click “More”.
- Click on “Report/Block” at the end of the list, and a pop-up will open.
- From there, choose “Block (the person’s name)” and finally click on “Block”.
That’s it! 🙌
👉 The person could be blocked without them knowing.
LinkedIn will not send any notification from your end. Even if you visited their profile page to do it, this visit will not appear either. 🤫
How to Block Someone on LinkedIn Without Them Knowing?
The good news is that every time you block someone on LinkedIn, they will never know!
That’s definitely good to know, because if you were hesitant to do it, now you do not have to worry anymore. 👌
Here is the visual step by step: 👇
- Step 1 click “More” + “Report/Block”:
- Step 2 click “Block (person’s name)”:
- Step 3 select block.
👉 There you have it, being a “blocker” it wasn’t as scary as it seemed! 😅
Blocking someone on LinkedIn is pretty straight-forward, even if you have to go to the profile you want to block each time. 😐
Can You Block People on LinkedIn Without Visiting Their Profile?
This is not possible, unfortunately! 😰
However, there is another way for blocking someone on LinkedIn without visiting their profile with your name or profile picture showing. 🤞
This one is a little sneaky, haha 👀, but it’s in case you want to take extra precaution.
- Go to “Me” in the menu on the top right corner of the screen, and click on “Settings & Privacy”:
- In the “Visibility” section, go to “Profile viewing options” and click on “Change”:
- There, you will have the option to display your profile as “Anonymous”:
👉 Then, when you visit someone else’s profile to perform an action, your name will not be visible. 👻
This allows you to block someone in “incognito mode”.
That’s the closest you can get to blocking someone or get blocked on LinkedIn, without visiting their profile first.
Sorry, LinkedIn doesn’t have an “automatically blocked” feature yet! 🤷
What Happens When You Block Someone?
Great! Now that you know how to block someone on LinkedIn, you might be wondering what happens next?? 🤔
Are you still following them? Do they follow you? Are you still part of their social-network? Can they still see your posts or send you messages?
Don’t panic, I’m about to answer all your questions and more! 😵
We have all the answers below. 🙏
When You Block User on LinkedIn, Here’s What Will Happen:
- Can’t access each other’s profiles on LinkedIn.
- Can’t message each other on LinkedIn.
- Won’t see each other’s shared content. 🙅
- If you’re already connected, you won’t be connected anymore.
- Can’t see each other in the “Who’s Viewed Your Profile” list.
- No notification about their upcoming LinkedIn Events.
- If already subscribed to your newsletter, they will no longer receive it.
- All endorsements & recommendations from that user will be removed.
- Won’t see each other in “People You May Know” and “People also viewed”.
- Only you can unblock the user. In this case, no notification will be sent. 👍
When You Block A User in Groups & Shared Accounts:
- Group members can’t block admins (since they control posts, memberships, moderation, etc.) To block admins, their admin permissions need to be blocked/removed first.
- To block a manager of a LinkedIn group you’re part of, you have to leave the group first, then block that person. 🚫
- If you manage a group and want to block a member, you have to delete that user-account from the group, then block them.
- Group members can ask admins to block a member.
- If you block a user that you share a LinkedIn Recruiter account with, the user will be notified about the block, in order to effectively manage that Recruiter new account.
A Blocked User May Keep Seeing Your Posts and Profile, In These Cases:
- If you block a person, they can still see your public information, such as profile, content posted, shares and comments. You can review your public profile settings to prevent this. 🧐
- Mutual connections on LinkedIn can share content created by the blocked person into your feed. You can hide these updates from your feed any time.
- If you can access LinkedIn via mobile or API, you may see cached data regarding the blocked member’s profile. To refresh your cache, sign in and then sign out, then remove cached data. 💬
Furthermore, to Limit People’s Access to You, You Can Also:
- Hide your public profile (otherwise, people who aren’t on LinkedIn can still find you through search engines).
- Hide your profile photo. 🤡
- Change your display name and username.
- Adjust to your account settings for when you send invitations. 📩
- Turn on/turn off your Open to work profile setting.
- Remove first degree connections on LinkedIn.
I hope you find these tips useful and that they help prevent any stalker or weirdo from trying to contact you. Unwanted/abusive messages and a contact that has been blocked. 💪
👉 When sharing professional or personal information on any social media platform, you should always be mindful of the privacy settings page, to prevent your content from being used elsewhere, or people knowing how to reach you without your consent! 😫
With Waalaxy, we only scrape the information that is public and visible from your 1st degree connections to respect the GDPR norms. 😇
Unlike our other competitors, like PhantomBuster, Lusha etc. that could put your LinkedIn account at risk.
How to Unblock A Person on LinkedIn? (Unblocking)
After you block a person on LinkedIn, they will appear in your blocked list. From there, you can manage the people in that block list, in case you ever change your mind and want to “unblock member”, it is possible! 😮
Here are the steps on how to do just that: 👇
- Go to “Me” in the top menu, and in the drop-down list, click on “Settings & Privacy”:
- In the “Visibility” section, scroll down to click “Blocking” and “Change”:
- Choose the person’s name and click “Unblock”.
- Then enter your password and confirm “Unblock member”.
💡 Please note, that after you select “Unblock member”, you need to wait 48h before re-blocking the same person!
Also, only blocked up to 1400 members on LinkedIn. 👍
Conclusion: How to Block Someone on LinkedIn?
In this article, we explained how to block someone on LinkedIn, but also: 👇
- Can you block people on LinkedIn without visiting their LinkedIn profile.
- What happens when you block someone on LinkedIn.
- How to unblock someone on LinkedIn.
Now let’s go to the frequently asked questions! 🥰
FAQ: Can You Block Someone on LinkedIn?
Why Use LinkedIn Blocking Feature? Is It Better To Block or Remove Someone on LinkedIn?
Completely blocking someone on LinkedIn might seem a bit dramatic, but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures! 🤪
Now that you know how to block another person without getting caught, and have an understanding of the consequences of using LinkedIn blocking, you can decide if there are other less dramatic options that may also be suitable, like:
- Unfollow them,
- Remove them,
- Report them.
All this can be done from the “More” section in their profiles, as shown here:
👉 These are other options if you don’t want to block them completely, or to avoid a repeated “block and unblock” scenario. 😌
How to Blacklist Somebody on LinkedIn? (Blocked List)
If you’re using a CRM like Waalaxy to manage your leads on LinkedIn, a good alternative to blocking a user can be creating a blacklist of the contact list. This will mean that you won’t be able to contact the user anymore via LinkedIn or via email. ✋
💡 We wrote this article to help you handle your connections on LinkedIn.
You can create a blacklist in your prospecting campaigns by using the tags feature. The tags let you know not to re-contact users who have let you know that they are not interested in your service. It’s a good idea to do this as it can be very frustrating to your prospects to keep receiving messages from you, when they already told you that they’re not interested! 😬
It’s nice to have a lot of connections, but there’s also no benefit on repeatedly contacting people who’ve already told you they’re not interested. That’s called harassment, and we don’t want to do that. 🙃
How to Know If Someone Blocked You on LinkedIn?
There are a few tricks to check if someone has blocked you. Here they are: ⬇️
- Type the name of the person you want to check on in the search bar. If in the messaging a pop-up says that “this profile is not available”, then that’s a good indication that you’re being blocked by that person.
- In the tab “Manage my network”, type the name of the person and if it is not there, then they have blocked you.
- Directly in your mailbox (check the “spam”), search the conversation with the person you want to check on. If there is a message or notification that says “this message may contain unwanted or harmful…”, you know the rest… 🤫
- Last but not least, look for a public post that this person has shared. If you can’t interact or comment on the post, then that person has blocked you.
Can People Tell If I Block Them On LinkedIn? Will My Connections Know?
No, no one can see who you choose to block. 🛑
👉 Note that LinkedIn blocking does not apply to public information, such as posted content, open group discussions, your public profile, your shares, and your comments on posts.
There you have it! 🤲
Do not hesitate to contact me or leave us a comment in the blog if you have any other tips.
Now you know everything there is to know on How to Block Someone on LinkedIn, without them knowing! 🤫