Do you find it hard to introduce yourself to people? Don’t panic! Today I’m going to show you how to write an introduction in different situations. Follow me. 👇🏼
On the programme 💡 of our article, we’re going to look at :
- ➡️ The essentials for writing an introduction.
- ➡️ How to avoid pitfalls in writing an introduction.
- ➡️ 4 examples of introductions (and I’ll tell you why they’re the bomb).
Writing an introduction: the essential steps
Before immersing ourselves 🤿 completely in the different use cases, I’m going to give you the steps you need to have an introduction that hits the nail on the head.
Writing an effective introduction requires a considered and strategic approach. So here are a few key steps to writing a punchy introduction.
How to make your introduction engaging : Understand your audience
Put down your pen ✒️ (or your keyboard), because before writing anything, it’s essential to know your target audience. Do you know how to do this? I’ll give you a hint: the persona. You need to try and understand :
- What your target audience’s expectations are 🎯.
- What are the audience’ s interests?
- What are their needs?
I’m not going to tell you again how crucial your persona is when it comes to setting up content. Personally, I don’t ignore it.
A successful introduction must immediately arouse their interest and address their concerns.
Clarify the subject
The introduction should clearly state the subject or main theme. Avoid generalities and be specific so that your readers know what the content is going to be about. You need to make it as simple as possible. 🧠
Use a captivating hook
Start with a hook that grabs the reader’s attention and intrigues them 👀. This could be a question, an interesting anecdote, a surprising fact or a quote, for example.
Bear in mind that the catchphrase is the very first thing your audience will read. So it’s best to get it right. If your tagline is good, you’ve already done a great job of getting (some of) your readers to engage with you.
Would you like an example of a tagline? You can take inspiration from this one :
Content is the new oil. It’s the most valuable asset in the digital economy. Companies that master the creation and sharing of content will be the ones to succeed in the years to come.
Show your relevance
Demonstrate from the outset why the topic is important ❗ to your readers. Explain how the content is going to be useful to them, help them solve a problem or answer their questions.
Ask a rhetorical question
Here, this rhetorical question will prompt your readers to think and engage more with the content. Make sure the question is relevant to the subject.
How to write an introduction: State the problem
Introduce an issue, a challenge or a question that you’re going to tackle in the article. This creates a sense of curiosity 🤔 in readers and encourages them to read on to find answers.
Avoid excessive detail
Keep in mind that the introduction should be concise. You should avoid revealing too much information or specific details. Reserve them for the development of your content.
Make sure that the tone of the introduction is consistent with the rest of your content. If you adopt a formal tone, keep it that way.
Revise and refine
Once you’ve written your introduction, reread it 📖 carefully. Make sure it’s concise, captivating and to the point. Correct any spelling and grammatical errors if necessary. If you tend to make a few mistakes, don’t panic.
You can use a spellchecker, and I encourage you to do so.
How to avoid pitfalls when writing an introduction?
Writing a good, effective introduction can sometimes be a challenge, but by avoiding some common pitfalls you can ensure that your introduction attracts attention and sets the scene for the rest of your content.
- Avoid generalities: don’t start with overly vague or generic statements that don’t offer specific information about the topic. Readers 🥰 want to know what they can expect from your text right from the start.
- Avoid information overload: The introduction should not reveal everything at once. Too much information can overwhelm readers and make the introduction tedious to read.
- Avoid clichés: Using trite phrases and clichés in the introduction can make your text predictable and unattractive.
4 examples of successful introductions
Introduction to an essay
I’m talking to all the students who wouldn’t know how to start their essay. Don’t panic 😱, I’ll help you. The first thing is already to know what your subject is going to be.
As I have no way of knowing, I’m going to suggest a random topic: The impact of climate change on the environment. 🌱
Climate change is one of the most pressing issues facing the world today. The effects of climate change are already being felt around the world, and they are only going to get worse in the coming years.
Climate change is caused by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. These gases trap heat from the sun, causing the planet to warm up.
In this essay, we will explore the impact of climate change on the environment. We will discuss the effects of climate change on wildlife, agriculture, water resources, infrastructure and human health. We’ll try to understand what’s at stake in climate change and how we can take action to combat it.
Why is it successful ?
There are four things that jump out at us :
- 🟡 Relevance: The introduction is relevant to the subject of the essay (concerning the impact of climate change on the environment).
- 🟡 Length: This intro is short, making it easy to remember.
- 🟡 Clarity: A clear and concise introduction allows the reader to quickly understand the subject of the essay.
- 🟡 Attracting curiosity: this introduction arouses the reader’s curiosity and encourages them to read the essay to find out more about climate change.
Introduction to an article
To write a blog post where the topic is AI 🤖 here’s an introduction.
Artificial intelligence is no longer limited to the futuristic plots of Hollywood films. It’s shaping our lives, from recommending films on our favourite streaming platforms to predicting road traffic in real time. But what exactly is AI? How does it work? What are its implications for our ever-changing world? If you’ve ever asked yourself these questions, you’ve come to the right place. We’re going to explore the fundamentals of AI, from its basic types to its practical applications in everyday life. Shall we dive in ?
Why is it successful ?
This introduction is designed to intrigue and educate the reader on the complex subject of AI.
- It captures 🥅 attention: This introduction begins with a statement that sets the current context for AI as a common feature of our lives. Inevitably, it grabs our attention.
- Questioning and curiosity: By asking rhetorical questions about the nature of AI, the introduction stimulates the reader’s curiosity and encourages them to read on for answers.
- Content announcement: It is made clear that the article will cover the basics of AI, from its definitions to its practical applications, giving the reader a clear idea of what to expect.
- Personal connection 🖇️: The introduction speaks directly to the reader, assuming that they have wondered about the subject, thus establishing a personal connection.
- Promise of informative content: The article is promised to provide educational and fascinating information, encouraging the reader to read on to find out more about AI.
Introduction for a sale (selling a product)
I’m going to show you an introduction to a sales page for SaaS software :
Onwards to simplified management. You’re about to discover a revolutionary way to manage [specific problem] with ease and efficiency. Let us introduce you to [name of software], the digital companion that will transform the way you work.
Imagine a world where tedious tasks and mountains of paperwork are a thing of the past. With [software name], everything becomes fluid. Our solution will allow you to [software key benefits] without hassle.
Why is it successful ?
The introduction strives to capture the reader’s attention by highlighting the benefits of SaaS software in an intriguing way
- Initial engagement: “Onwards to simplified management” creates a relaxed and friendly tone, immediately establishing a connection with the potential reader.
- Problem and solution: The mention of a specific problem solved by your software clearly identifies the challenge the reader may be facing.
- Key benefits: Benefits are mentioned concisely and specifically.
A successful first contact introduction
Are you going to send your first message on LinkedIn but don’t know how to go about it? Don’t panic, here’s an example
Hello [First name],
I was captivated by your profile and your expertise in the field of [ Relevant sector]. I find your achievements, in particular [mention a specific achievement or project], truly inspiring.
As I looked back over your career, I noticed similarities with my own interests and experience, particularly in [Areas of convergence]. I’m a firm believer in the value of connecting like-minded minds, which is why I’d love the opportunity to chat with you.
Why is this a success?
This introduction is successful because :
- We recognise the recipient: By calling them by their first name 💓.
- Common points: You establish common ground by identifying shared areas of interest and similar experiences.
- Valuing the exchange: You show a desire for dialogue and exchange, which is often welcomed on LinkedIn.
Conclusion of the article
As you will have realised, writing an introduction may seem difficult at first, but rest assured that with practice it will get easier. That’s why we’ve looked at :
- The essentials for writing an intro.
- How to avoid the pitfalls of writing an introduction.
- X examples of introductions (and I’ll tell you why they’re the bomb).
FAQ about the article
We’ll be saying goodbye soon 😔, but I’ve still got a few notions to share with you !
Can you use AI to write an intro?
Don’t shy away from using AI. You can absolutely use this tool when writing an introduction, in particular to :
- Generate ideas.
- And content suggestions.
However, it’s important to note that using AI in this context requires a considered approach to ensure that the message is authentic, relevant and personalized.
How do you announce a topic?
The topic announcement is an essential part of the essay intro. This is where you set out clearly and precisely what you are going to write about. Here is a list of the boxes you need to tick :
- Be clear and precise.
- Use simple language.
- Avoid generalities.
- Avoid rhetorical questions.
- Be relevant.
Now you know how to write an introduction 🚀.