The active status on LinkedIn: How does it work?
Do you know about the active status on LinkedIn? It’s a feature that has arrived on LinkedIn that simply allows you to see a user’s active status and therefore see if they are online. ✅
- Having a solid green circle next to someone’s name or profile picture in LinkedIn messaging means that the person is currently active on LinkedIn and will be instantly notified when you send them a message.
- A hollow green circle indicates that this person is not active, currently present on LinkedIn but, has their mobile notifications enabled. They will be notified instantly when you send them a message. So you can see if your prospects are using LinkedIn on mobile!
- No circle, the person is not active and does not have his push notifications activated.
Messaging remains an essential tool to facilitate communication, especially as part of a LinkedIn professional network, connecting prospects with clients, recruiters with job seekers, so messaging is an important asset. If you send more than 10 messages per day on LinkedIn, you know that this messaging system is buggy and lacks features, if you want to optimize your messaging, feel free to discover our tips here.
This new feature can make LinkedIn much more fluid and useful for users, and especially for candidates and recruiters.
The feature is enabled by default. However, you can easily disable this feature. 👌🏻
- Click below your profile picture on Linkedin on the menu, drop down “You”, then on “Preferences and Privacy”,
- Click on “Visibility” and in the sub-heading “Visibility of your activity on Linkedin” ,
- Then click on “Manage active status” and “Change”,
- Then choose in the list who can see your status: Your relations only, all Linkedin members, or nobody.
As a reminder, changes can take up to 30 minutes to take effect.
Note: If you disable your active status, you will also lose the ability to see when your connections are active on LinkedIn. 👌🏻
Does the green circle on LinkedIn mean someone is online?
Absolutely. Full green circle status on LinkedIn means the person is connected right now.
What does the green and white circle on LinkedIn mean?
Having the green and white circle means that the person is not online right now, but they can receive your notifications.